Recent Presentations at conferences, symposia, and in conjunction with exhibitions
- “Sensitive Skin”, a lecture for the Holberg Symposium: “From Double Consciousness to Planetary Humanism”, organised for the Holberg Prize week in honour of laureate Professor Paul Gilroy, University of Bergen, Norway. 04 June.
- “Who is the Subject: Wilhelm Marstrand’s portrait of Justina Antoine”, a lecture for the conference Modèles Noirs, organised by the Columbia Institute for Ideas and Imagination and Musée d’Orsay, Paris, France. 16 May.
- “The Beautiful Struggle: From colonial hauntings to black futurity”, a guest talk for the thematic series Something Happened! Curated by Tawanda Appiah and Simona Dumitriu at Skånes Konstförening, Malmö, Sweden. 27 April.
- “Ethnic Intimacies: A small (her)story of racial artefacts in the home”, a guest talk for the seminar series Circulating Race: Colonialism, Slavery, and the Visual Economy, hosted by the Research Center for Material Culture at the Impacthub, Amsterdam, Holland. 31 Jan.
- “Traces of Kongo in the Nordic Colonial Archive”, a guest lecture at Iwalewahaus, Bayreuth, Germany. 23 Jan.
- “The Viewing Room: Black Beauty and Aesthetic Trauma”, a guest talk at the Migration Memory Encounters (MME) event African Diasporic Talks: On Blackness, Beauty, and States of Being, at Malmö Konsthall, Sweden. 15 Dec.
- “Black Women Body Politics: Past, Present, and Future Images”, a guest talk at the Museum of Women’s History, Umeå, Sweden. 11 Nov.
- “More Than Words: A conversation about critical turning points in art history praxis”, keynote conversation with Dr Henrik Holm at the conference [No Title]: Nordik XII, organised by The Nordic Association for Art Historians at University of Copenhagen, Denmark. 25-27 Oct.
- “A Little Too Close? On archival intimacies and entanglements”, for SAVVY Contemporary Colonial Neighbours exhibition and the ‘Affect and Colonialism Workshop’ at the Freie Universität’s Affective Societies Research Center, SAVVY Contemporary Berlin, Germany. 19 June.
- “Black Body Politics: Past, Present, and Future Images”, a guest talk organised by Saba Bereket Persson at Gothenburg City Library, Sweden. 26 April.
- “The Taboo Touch: Artists, Africans and Graphic Satire in 18th Century England”, at Lichtenberg-Kolleg (Goettingen Institute for Advanced Study), University of Goettingen, Germany. 18 April.
- “Facing Entanglement(s): How will we embark on a decolonial praxis?”, at the symposium Decolonization and curatorial spaces, at Konsthall C, Stockholm. 16 Mar.
- “What Lies Unspoken: a remedy for colonial silence(s) in Denmark”, at the symposium Exhibiting the Experience of Empire, at the British Museum, UK. 09 March.
- “On Archival Intervention(s): Decolonial options for remedial design”, at the symposium Archives that Matter: Digital infrastructures for sharing unshared histories in European colonial archives, organised by The Uncertain Archives Research Group, University of Copenhagen and The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in collaboration with The Royal Danish Library, Denmark. 30-31 Jan.